How to use the LaSEEB VPN¶
What is a VPN and why do I care?¶
The LaSEEB VPN allows you to externally access the LaSEEB network. Once inside the network, you can access workstations, NAS devices, this site, the network monitoring site, printers, code repositories, etc.
All VPN connections are encrypted, thus avoiding security issues when you access LaSEEB from the outside. For more information about VPNs click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN.
Configure the VPN¶
For all operating systems¶
- VPN host: 188.8.131.52
- Domain: laseeb.org
- VPN user: your LaSEEB username
- VPN password: your LaSEEB password
- Warning: The LaSEEB internal network uses IPs such as 192.168.1.x (where x is between 1 and 255). As such, the network you're connecting from should not use the same IP range, or else the VPN connection won't work. This is easy to change in your router. Eduroam works with different IPs, so you can connect from it.
Go to network connections, and create a new VPN connection. Don't change any of the defaults, and it should work.
Follow this tutorial: http://geekyprojects.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-vpn-connection/.
Didn't try, but should be easy. Please post update this page when you successfully manage to connect via MacOSX.
This is a more complex approach, but can prove useful if you're behind a thick firewall. You can use the following information to connect to LaSEEB via SSH tunneling:
- Host: 184.108.40.206
- Username: your LaSEEB username
- Password: your LaSEEB password
- Port: (ask us)
Some references about this topic: